Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Rootbeer Cupcakes and Cream Soda Icing?!


I love baking cupcakes, who doesn't? :) I was searching through all my cupcake books, printed recipes, and websites and amongst my searching I found a fabulous recipe for something I knew would be amazing!



Root Beer Cupcakes! From Cupcake Project This recipe was delicious! I added my own touch to the cupcakes by adding chocolate gnache balls to the tops of them :)

Here's the recipe:
Root Beer Cupcake Recipe

The cake part of the recipe was a root beer cake. I found the recipe at the Bittersweet Blog. The cake was moist and had a strong root beer smell and flavor. Definitely a winner.

makes 12 cupcakes

  • 1 C rootbeer soda
  • 1 t apple cider vinegar
  • 3/4 C sugar
  • 1/3 C canola oil
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 2 t rootbeer extract
  • 1 1/3 C flour
  • 3/4 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • Pinch of Salt
  1. Combine the soda and vinegar and let stand for a few minutes.
  2. Add in the sugar and oil, whisking vigorously until slightly frothy.
  3. Integrate your extracts, and gently introduce the flour, along with the baking powder / soda, and salt, being careful not to over mix.
  4. Fill cupcake liners approximately 3/4 of the way to the top.
  5. Bake at 350 F for about 18 - 22 minutes.
I couldn't find root beer extract anywhere locally, so i improvised and used Root Beer soda instead and added a little bit more than whats called for :) In the end this resulted in a yummy root beer taste that wasn't overpowering! mmmm

The Cream Soda Frosting was next, also from Cupcake Project! Her recipe is delicious, I can't wait to make more frosting flavors using her technique :) Here's the recipe
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/4 C butter
  • 4 C powdered sugar
  • 1.5 t cream soda extract (Cream soda extract isn't exactly a common household item. However, I was able to order some at a soda home brewing company, HopTec. This is also where I ordered my root beer extract from. The service at HopTec was fantastic! They shipped my stuff the same day and even called me to let me know they had found a cheaper shipping rate for me. I'd definitely recommend them, if you want to try making some cream soda frosting. I'd also highly recommend the frosting. It was a perfect match for the root beer cupcake.)
  1. Beat cream cheese and butter.
  2. Add powdered sugar until the consistency is right.
  3. Add extract.
Let me know if you try out these cupcakes! They were a hit over Thanksgiving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment